Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for advanced undergraduate and graduate students and recent Bachelor's and Master's level graudates within one year to join the Cybersecurity Summer Institute (CSI) to work on topics related to cybersecurity that are broadly applicable and apply to the Lab’s national security concerns. CSI is a 12-week summer internship program that allows you to take your ideas, passions, and the skills you've acquired and apply them to projects in areas of National Importance.
At the Undergraduate Level (Non-Exempt):
- Students will work with scientists, engineers and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the area of cybersecurity and other related fields.
- Under close supervision, participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of scientific research.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation discussion.
- Attend relevant on-site seminars (at least one per week).
- A minimum of one seminar or poster will be presented on the assignment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the Graduate and Recent Grad Level (Exempt):
- Under limited direction and supervision will conduct research in assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientist in scientific research and development projects.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
At the Undergraduate Level (Non-Exempt):
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or other related fields.
-Effective programming skills in Python, C, or C++.
- Ability to apply basic principles of computer science to solve cybersecurity related problems.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Desire to participate in both individual and team efforts including possible LLNL CSI Cyber Competition(s).
- Desire to improve skills in public presentation of scientific results by giving presentations and participating in the LLNL student poster competition.
- Eagerness to obtain an understanding of new application areas.
- Demonstrated exposure through coursework or relevant experience to some of the following topics:
In addition, at the Graduate and Recent Grad Level (Exempt):
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or a recent Bachelor's or Master's graduate within one year.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in scientific curriculum.
- Experience applying advanced computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break or a co-op position during the academic year. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information. Salaries are based on student academic level.
Selected applicants will be required to provide current unofficial transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Joining our Talent Network will enhance your job search process.
Find out about future opportunities by registering your details with us.
Just upload your resume and complete a few simple questions about the type of position you are looking for. Once your profile is complete, our recruiting team will be able to match you to suitable roles.
We look forward to staying connected with you!