Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for graduate students (MS or PhD) in the Computational Chemistry and Materials Science Summer Institute to engage in practical research experience to further your educational goals. You will research projects in the development & application of methods in computational materials science, computational chemistry, & other related areas of computational science.
- Interns will work alongside Lab scientists doing computational simulations work.
- Conduct research in an assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientist in research and development projects.
- Participate in weekly seminars given by experts in the field.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in materials science or a related field.
- Proficient communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to apply basic and scientific approaches to problem solving.
- Ability to operate PC and/or Macintosh computers to translate and report scientific data.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- GPA of 3.3 or above
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Resume submissions are due no later than January 31, 2018.
Salaries are based on student academic level.
Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts, two letters of reference; general interest statment and thesis statement.
This programs runs from June 4 - August 10, 2018.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Joining our Talent Network will enhance your job search process.
Find out about future opportunities by registering your details with us.
Just upload your resume and complete a few simple questions about the type of position you are looking for. Once your profile is complete, our recruiting team will be able to match you to suitable roles.
We look forward to staying connected with you!