Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for a High School student to work in the Materials Engineering Division part time doing analysis, testing and design of new engineered materials using bio-engineering and additive manufacturing. You will work directly with a technical supervisor, who will manage day-to-day assignments, review work, and be available for assistance. These positions are in the Micro & Nano Technology Section in Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Work part time conducting analysis and testing on engineered materials.
- Computer programming to enable improvement of current testing procedures.
- Under close supervision, participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research using statistical analyses and advanced microscopy.
- Compile research results into a poster presentation.
- Compile relevant documentation, including Standard Operation Procedures (SOP’s) and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Attend relevant seminars.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited high school pursuing a high school diploma.
- School experience or interest in either Engineering, Biomedical or related discipline.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to work under moderate direction within scope of the assignment to achieve the specific goals.
- Verbal and written communication skills sufficient to identify problems, pose questions, and report results.
- Ability to interact effectively with coworkers and managers in performing assigned tasks.
- Proficiency in keyboarding, using automated tools, and personal computing.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/
for additional student employment information.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.