Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Post College Appointee/Geospatial Analyst to develop and integrate GIS and data analysis tools, operational system applications. This position is in the Computation Directorate within the Enterprise Applications Services Division (EASD).
- Facilitate information sharing, analysis, and decision making through a geographic information system (GIS).
- Perform geographic and non-geographic data manipulation, analysis, and cartography, while using a variety of software environments to develop and use automated GIS processes.
- Revise existing GIS layers and create new layers, following established standards and procedures.
- Correct geospatial location features based on aerial photography or topography.
- Perform field data collection using prescribed technology, methodology, and specifications.
- Digitize imagery to create maps and 3D renderings.
- Collaborate with and present work to other internal and external research groups at LLNL and at other institutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geophysics, Geospatial/Land/Urban Planning, Civil Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap, ArcCatalog).
- Experience with data analysis and management proficiency.
- Comprehensive analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience analyzing data through a geographic information system (GIS).
- Comprehensive knowledge of geographic and non-geographic data manipulation, analysis, and cartography.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with strong organizational skills.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a collaborative research environment and to document and present research results.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Knowledge of geoprocessing techniques and work-flows.
- Knowledge of alternative GIS software (QGIS, R for mapping, FME Workbench, Google Earth API) and/or with CAD platforms and data exchange between CAD/GIS environments.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Bachelor's degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Joining our Talent Network will enhance your job search process.
Find out about future opportunities by registering your details with us.
Just upload your resume and complete a few simple questions about the type of position you are looking for. Once your profile is complete, our recruiting team will be able to match you to suitable roles.
We look forward to staying connected with you!