Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for undergraduate and graduate level, and recent bachelor's or master's level graduates within one year, to engage in practical research experience to further their educational goals. You will provide research opportunities in a large array of fields such as lasers, laser-plasma physics, electro-optics, software development, and optical, x-ray and nuclear instrument development and testing.
At the Undergraduate Level (Non-Exempt):
- Students will work alongside staff scientists and engineers doing work and research at onsite laser and nuclear facilities in the areas of advanced laser development, laser plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, material science, radiation physics and various advanced diagnostic systems
- Under close supervision, will conduct research (experimental, theoretical or modeling) in assigned area
- Communicate research results: document work, present and discuss findings
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions
- Perform other duties as assigned
In Addition at the Graduate and Recent Grad Level (Exempt):
- Under limited direction and supervision will conduct research in assigned area.
- Performs technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientist in scientific research and development projects.
At the Undergraduate Level (Non-Exempt):
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in Physics or Engineering.
- Ability to apply basic Physics and Engineering principles to solve technical problems.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
In Addition at the Graduate and Recent Grad (Exempt):
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or a recent graduate within one year.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in the Physics or Engineering discipline.
- Experience applying basic Physics and Engineering principles to solve technical problems.
- GPA of 3.3 or above.
- Prior experience in laboratory physics or electrical engineering experiments is strongly recommended for experimental assignments.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break; a co-op position, full-time during the academic semester/quarter, or a year-round part-time position during the academic year and full time during academic breaks. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Salaries are based on student academic level.
Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Joining our Talent Network will enhance your job search process.
Find out about future opportunities by registering your details with us.
Just upload your resume and complete a few simple questions about the type of position you are looking for. Once your profile is complete, our recruiting team will be able to match you to suitable roles.
We look forward to staying connected with you!