Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Faculty Appointment. The successful candidate will contribute to various efforts related to quantitative material characterization using nondestructive characterization techniques; these efforts may involve a combination of experiments and simulations involving x-ray imaging, computed tomography, signal and image processing, reconstruction and artifact reduction algorithms. A primary focus area will be the application of spectral computed tomography (CT) for well-characterized materials and a quantitative comparison of material properties estimated from spectral CT and dual-energy and spectral data sets, and specialized algorithm development to extract accurate material property estimates from the collected data. This position will be in the Computational Engineering Division within the Engineering Directorate.
- Collaborate with Laboratory researchers on applications of x-ray imaging, computed tomography, and nondestructive characterization.
- Contribute to the development and understanding of spectral CT techniques, including error corrections and artifact reductions in the measured data.
- Assist in the development and modification of processing, reconstruction, data reduction and analysis algorithms to estimate material properties from dual-energy and spectral CT data.
- Perform x-ray simulation studies to better understand CT systems, processsing methods, artifact reduction, and analysis.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ESH&Q, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Must be a continuing faculty member or teacher affiliated with an accredited institution.
- Experience in x-ray imaging, computed tomography, and reconstruction algorithms.
- Experience with spectral CT data acquisition and analysis.
- Knowledge of x-ray simulation methods.
- A signficant publication record related to x-ray imaging, nondestructive characterization, and simulation methods for radiography and CT.
- Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering, Physics, Nondestructive Characterization or related field.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the location of the assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Temporary Faculty Scholar appointment.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Joining our Talent Network will enhance your job search process.
Find out about future opportunities by registering your details with us.
Just upload your resume and complete a few simple questions about the type of position you are looking for. Once your profile is complete, our recruiting team will be able to match you to suitable roles.
We look forward to staying connected with you!