Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a law student who has completed his or her second year of law school to serve as a Law Clerk in the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Office of General Counsel (OGC) during summer 2019.
The OGC is comprised of nine experienced attorneys, as well as other legal professionals, who represent the Laboratory across a wide spectrum of practice areas. You can anticipate assignments in any of the substantive areas relevant to operation of the Laboratory: e.g., litigation; business transactions; environmental, health and safety; government contracts; patent prosecution and intellectual property; export law; employment law, and more. You may also indicate areas of special interest, which may influence your assignments.
You will be part of a cohort of 500+ graduate and undergraduate students who come from all over the world to experience LLNL’s world-class scientific facilities and participate in research with the Laboratory’s accomplished scientists and engineers. The summer program provides all interns the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of scientific and national-security-related lectures, seminars and other activities.
This position is full time and paid, for up to 12 weeks during the summer of 2019.
- Research and draft legal memoranda and other documents; compile, summarize and analyze factual material.
- Perform legal research to gather relevant rules, regulations and case law in all areas of law.
- Prepare drafts of transactional legal documents and analyze legal implications of proposed contractual language.
- May interact with outside counsel, representatives of state and federal agencies, universities and private companies.
- Meet with Laboratory representatives to gather information to support the provision of legal advice and to learn about operations and legal matters at the Laboratory.
- Prepare and possibly present materials on legal and factual issues for varied audiences.
- Other general law assignments.
- Completed a BS or BA Degree.
- Must be currently enrolled in the second year of studies at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Experience performing legal and factual research.
- Experience writing memoranda documenting legal and factual research and analysis.
- Experience interpreting and applying state and federal laws, regulations, court rules and procedures.
- Experience accomplishing multiple tasks and resolving conflicting priorities.
- Experience demonstrating attention to detail, discretion, and judgment and tact in handling legal issues.
- Experience communicating effectively with all levels of employees and outside entities.
- Some knowledge of government contracting, litigation, intellectual property, contracts and/or employment law through formal study or work experience.
- Experience working successfully as part of a team
- Interest and enthusiasm in learning about areas of law that may be unfamiliar
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizens
Joining our Talent Network will enhance your job search process.
Find out about future opportunities by registering your details with us.
Just upload your resume and complete a few simple questions about the type of position you are looking for. Once your profile is complete, our recruiting team will be able to match you to suitable roles.
We look forward to staying connected with you!