Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Post College Appointees (PCA) to support software development projects. You will work in a multi-disciplinary team environment in support of projects focusing on problems of interest to LLNL and DOE programs. These positions are in the Scholar Program within the Computation Directorate and may be matrixed to Computation teams supporting other programs.
- Meet with stakeholders to determine requirements for new software or updates to existing software, and analyze gathered requirements to inform the software development process.
- Work as a full member of a software engineering team, contributing to overall system design and participating in planning and review sessions.
- Design, implement, and test software applications based on both new and existing requirements.
- Perform testing and QA on software products using the project’s established processes.
- Document software development and technical findings for multiple audiences and present information both internally and externally to immediate team and beyond.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- Significant experience designing and developing software applications with the ability to contribute as part of a software engineering team.
- Experience developing software with general-purpose object-oriented third generation languages such as C++, Python, and Java.
- Experience developing software within modern OS environments such as Linux, UNIX, and Windows.
- Comprehensive analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Proficient verbal and communication skills necessary to effectively communicate information with peers and managers.
- Recent Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: These are one-year Post College Appointees with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Bachelor's or Master's degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.