Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Post College Appointee to perform research in the areas of polymer science. You will work under the guidance of staff members where you will further develop your research skills by submersion in a state-of-the-art research environment with highly competent researchers and subject matter experts. This position is in the Nanoscale Integration and Science Group of the Materials Science Division.
- Perform characterizing crystallization dynamics in polymers using X-ray scattering, atomic force microscopy, and spectroscopic techniques.
- Prepare samples via solution and thermal treatments.
- Present informal progress reports to supervisor/mentor on a regular basis.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook to ensure results are properly annotated and organized for reports.
- Provide technical support to engineers and scientists on scientific research and development projects.
- Participate in research planning to prepare for experiments and participate in evaluation discussions.
- Perform independent work on projects, convey results, and contribute to a larger effort supporting the overall goals of the team.
- Work safely and efficiently on multiple projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent BS/MS degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or related field.
- Experience performing wide-ranging experiments in a chemistry laboratory and/or cleanroom setting.
- Knowledge of general laboratory fundamentals and best practices.
- Proven academic achievement.
- Proficient verbal and written communication to document and present research results.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative research environment and interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, technicians and other technical and administrative staff.
- Experience with polymer sample preparation.
- Experience with X-ray scattering or atomic force microscopy, or optical spectroscopy.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Bachelor's or Master's-degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.