Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The Mini Faculty Sabbatical Program (MFSP) hires faculty members from universities throughout the U.S through our Faculty Sabbatical Program. The MFSP allows for faculty members to come to the Lab for 1-3 months to engage in a collaborative training and engagement of mutual interest to exchange knowledge, new skills, and develop collaborations. Faculty will be able to collaborate with Laboratory scientists to learn firsthand about Laboratory research and capabilities, train on new facilities, and share knowledge. Selected faculty members will have access to LLNL’s extensive computing facilities, specialized laboratory facilities and field equipment.
These employees will be hosted by a staff scientist and work collaboratively for 1-3 months within a research group/division at LLNL.
Each Faculty Scholar is selected based upon their outstanding scholarship and research expertise and overlap with the Lab’s mission.
The position pays a salary of 12K/month and covers travel reimbursement to and from Livermore in accordance with LLNL travel policy.
- Provide expertise in one or more of the following areas: Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Chemistry, Material Science, Engineering, Nuclear Science, Environmental Science, Atmospheric Science, Geoscience, Energy, Lasers, and/or Biology.
- Collaborate with technical area leaders, project leaders, and program management in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Participate in activities as appropriate to provide and gain exposure to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in relevant scientific field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Must be a continuing faculty member at an accredited research institution in the US.
- Extensive knowledge for applicant’s science field demonstrated by a publication record.
- Demonstrated creativity, exceptional ability, and proven accomplishments in applicant’s area of specialization.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Demonstrated initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a Temporary Faculty Scholar appointment with the possibility of extension. This assignment is typically a full-time position during the summer academic break.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.