Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for a continuing graduate-level student or bachelor’s and master’s recent graduates within one year in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate. You will work under the direction of the Industrial Hygiene Group Leader to complete a project, or series of projects, that combine hands-on experience with technical knowledge. Projects will be matched to the interests of the student but must ultimately provide value to the Industrial Hygiene (IH) program. This individual will interact with all levels of personnel at the Laboratory including managers, experimenters, technicians, and other personnel that may be outside the ES&H directorate.
- Evaluate sampling and analytical detection methods.
- Develop and critique Industrial Hygiene procedures.
- Statistically evaluate past exposure data reports for providing conclusions, characterizing exposure risks/profiles, and identifying future sampling needs.
- Develop control banding chemical specific documents.
- Lead an effort to design and execute a sampling plan that will characterize exposure risk for a work group.
- Develop campaign to promote hearing conservation and conduct earplug fit testing.
- Present exposure risk findings to management and industrial hygienists.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a college or university student pursuing a graduate degree in industrial hygiene or equivalent program or a recent graduate within one year.
- Ability to apply scientific methods to solve a defined problem or study question.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient with standard Microsoft Office suite including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to apply basic and fundamental Industrial Hygiene concepts in a work environment.
- Proficient in FileMaker Pro.
- Experience in research and/or laboratory-type work settings as well as experience or working knowledge in mathematics and science.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Relisted Position. Originally listed on (9/19/2019). Previous candidates need not reapply.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.