Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Post College Appointee (PCA) to participate in projects to do formal analysis on cyber security and international affairs. Project opportunities may include participation in research studies on cyber policy, international cooperation in cyber issues, critical infrastructure security, cyber intelligence, and arms control policy. This position is in the Space and Emerging Technologies (SETA) group of the Global Security Principal Directorate’s Intelligence (Z) Program and will provide experience to successfully pursue a career at the intersection of international security and cyber security.
- Collect, evaluate, and assess multiple-source information concerning states’ cyber activities and capabilities, interacting with a multidisciplinary research team including scientists, engineers, and political scientists.
- Support the development and maintenance of a knowledge repository platform for critical infrastructure exploits and vulnerabilities.
- Contribute to policy studies on cyber security, cyber defense policy, and critical infrastructure security.
- Present formal and informal overviews of results and findings at team meetings.
- Produce written reports on research results.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A recent Master's degree in international relations, or other relevant discipline.
- Advanced knowledge of US defense cyber policy.
- Experience in international cooperation in cyber issues.
- Basic knowledge of cyber security technical subject matter.
- Proven publication record in cyber security and critical infrastructure.
- Experience with collection and analysis of open-source information on cyber events and capabilities.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative research environment and to document and present research results.
- Experience applying information analysis tools to the assessment of foreign cyber activities.
- Proficiency in a statistical tool set such as R or Stata.
- Foreign language skills such as Arabic or Chinese.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Master's degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.