Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for graduate students as well as recent bachelor’s or master’s level graduates within one year of graduating in the Emergency Management Department (EMD) within the Infrastructure and Operations Directorate. Comprised of complex and highly diverse operations, EMD is a unique department which runs 24/7 operations and involves multiple components of life safety operations for the Laboratory including Fire Protection Engineering and Fire Protection operations, Emergency Programs Organization regulatory compliance, Fire Department response services, training, exercises and drills, and Fire and Alarms Life Safety monitoring, maintenance, inspections, installation, repair, and controls.
- Students will work with engineers and technical staff members to provide basic support to projects in the areas of fire protection, inspections, fire response services, fire and alarms life safety, and emergency response programs, or other related fields..
- Performs assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provides support and service to engineers, technical staff members, and/or management in the areas of fire protection, inspections, fire response services, fire and alarms life safety, and emergency response programs, or other related fields.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of service support area.
- Attend Laboratory hosted seminars.
- Under limited direction and supervision, will participate in service support in assigned area.
- Performs complex assignments and provides advanced degree of support and service to engineers, technical staff members, and/or management in the areas of fire protection, inspections, fire response services, fire and alarms life safety, and emergency response programs, or other related fields.
-Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or recent Bachelor's or Master's graduate within one year in Fire Protection Engineering, Emergency Management, or other related technical field.
- Ability to apply basic principles to solve problems.
- Communication skills necessary to communicate and document work.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in Fire Protection Engineering, Emergency Management, or other related technical field.
- Experience applying advanced principles to solve problems.
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.