Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate has multiple openings for continuing undergraduate students to engage in practical research experience to further their educational goals. You will provide research opportunities in a large array of fields such as lasers, laser-plasma physics, electro-optics, software development, and optical, x-ray and nuclear instrument development and testing. For more information, please visit https://lasers.llnl.gov/education/summer-scholar. References may be required.
- Students will work alongside scientists doing work and research at onsite laser and nuclear facilities in the areas of advanced laser development, laser plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, material science, radiation physics and various advanced diagnostic systems.
- Under close supervision, will conduct research (experimental, theoretical or modeling) in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Communicate research results: document work, present and discuss findings.
- Attend relevant seminars and prepare a poster for the Student Intern Poster Symposium.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a college or university student in good academic standing enrolled in an accredited institution pursuing an associates or bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, or a related field.
- A sustained record of outstanding academic performance.
- Ability to work full time for ten to twelve weeks during the summer months.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Familiarity with tools associated to your field of study.
- Prior experience in laboratory physics or electrical engineering experiments is strongly recommended for experimental assignments and experience in modern programming/modeling or high-performance computing for scientific assignments.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/
for additional student employment information.
Salaries are based on student academic level.
Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.