Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for graduate students to engage in practical research experience to further their educational goals in the Computational Chemistry and Materials Science Summer Institute. You will research projects in the development and application of methods in computational materials science, computational chemistry, and other related areas of computational science. These positions are in Materials Science Division.
- You will work alongside Lab scientists performing computational simulation data analysis.
- Under limited direction and supervision will conduct research in assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientist in scientific research and development projects.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree in chemistry, materials sciences, computational chemistry, or related field.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in material science, computer science or a related field.
- Experience applying basic scientific principles to solve technical problems and knowledge of PC and/or Macintosh computers to translate and report scientific data.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Resume submissions are due no later than January 31, 2021.
Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.