Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for graduate students to join the Cybersecurity Summer Internship (CSI) program and to work on topics related to cybersecurity that align with LLNL’s national security missions. The 2021 CSI program will run during the summer with flexible dates between May 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021. CSI is designed to provide selected candidates an opportunity to apply the skills they have acquired to projects in areas of national importance. The program will include opportunities to participate in Capture the Flag (CTF)-style challenges, network with fellow interns and lab employees, and learn more about work going on at LLNL. These positions will be in the Energy and Homeland Security Program (E Program) within the Global Security Directorate.
- Students will work with scientists, engineers, and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of cybersecurity, critical infrastructure, and other related fields.
- Support documentation, testing, creation or modification of Laboratory software, hardware or Computer operating systems.
- Under limited direction and supervision will conduct research in assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide technical support to scientists in scientific research and development projects.
- Attend relevant on-site seminars and training classes (at least one per week).
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree.
- Ability to apply computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in scientific curriculum.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience applying advanced computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated exposure through coursework or relevant experience to some of the following topics: Network/Protocol Analysis; Intrusion Detection; Cryptography; Reverse Engineering; Incident Response; Malware Analysis; Systems Programming.
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.