Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate offers teachers and faculty members the opportunity to engage in applied research to advance their teaching goals and knowledge. An understanding of Division business practices, standards, and expectations will benefit the instructor in arranging curriculum to prepare students for possible future LLNL employment and technical and scientific collaborations. This position reports directly to the LSEO Division Superintendent
- Work with scientists, engineers, and technical staff to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of operations, optics processing, inspection, metrology and mitigation, complex optical alignments, and optical setup and testing or other related fields.
- Under limited direction, evaluate photonics technician training, skillsets, and work processes for compatibility with current and future curriculum.
- Participate in complex beam, target, and diagnostic alignments in the NIF Control Room.
- Consult with Optical Processing and Mitigation staff regarding industry practices and appropriate educational learning objectives.
- Collaborate on the definition of functional requirements, solve complex technical and resource problems and evaluate alternative training concepts consistent with schedule, cost, and material limitations.
- Develop, prepare, present and participate in required design reviews, reports, procedures and other communications in support of technical and administrative assignments.
- Participate in activities as appropriate to provide exposure to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing faculty or teacher affiliated at an accredited institution.
- Experience applying complex electronics and/or photonics technology theory to solve technical problems.
- Experience with optics processing, inspection, metrology and mitigation, complex optical alignment processes.
- Deep understanding industry practices.
- Ability to present conceptual information and technical data in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None.
Note: This is a Temporary Faculty Scholar appointment with the possibility of extension. This assignment is typically a full-time position during the summer academic break.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.