Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a temporary student intern in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate. Under general supervision, this position will assist in environmental equipment/material characterization and evaluating environmental regulatory requirements for specific operations at the Site 300 Explosives Test Facility. This position will provide basic technical and administrative support to the ES&H Team 1 Site 300 Environmental Analyst, performing a broad range of tasks including reviewing programmatic operations and evaluating against environmental regulatory requirements; reviewing environmental analytical data to characterize and evaluate management options of excess equipment/material; assisting in facility walk-throughs; and assisting in development of contingency plans. The work environment is a combination of physically demanding activities, computer based office research, and coordination meetings. It requires working well independently as well as working closely with others as part of team. There is a heavy emphasis on performing work safely.
- Under limited direction and supervision will provide support to the ES&H Team 1 Site 300 Environmental Analyst in the area of regulatory evaluation and excess equipment/material characterization.
- Performs technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to the ES&H Team 1 Site 300 Environmental Analyst in the area of regulatory evaluation and excess material characterization.
- Performs facility walk-throughs, identifying areas for improvement with environmental regulations, and providing written input on concerns and potential corrective actions.
- Develop contingency plans for temporary hazardous waste accumulation areas, as needed.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or a recent graduate within one year.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in environmental safety and health, biology, chemistry or related field.
- Experience with reviewing analytical data and compiling results.
- Effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple tasks in an environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work for long periods of time, including working outside, bending, crouching, kneeling, standing, walking, reaching, crawling, balancing, and climbing stairs.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Basic understanding of scientific and/or environmental concepts.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information. Salaries are based on student academic level. Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.