Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Post College Appointee (PCA). You will assist in developing software for metal 3D printing. The software will model heat transfer and additional physics in laser powder bed fusion with the goal of improving the quality of additively manufactured metal parts. This experience prepares recent graduates to successfully pursue advanced graduate studies. This position is in the Engineering Modeling and Simulation Section within the Computational Engineering Division (CED).
- Conduct research and development of software for laser powder bed fusion additive manufacturing.
- Write organized, well-maintained software.
- Organize, analyze data, draw relevant conclusions from the analysis, and present data.
- Work to improve modelling and analysis thorough scientific literature reviews.
- Present informal progress reports to mentor and research team on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with scientists and engineers to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or related field.
- Experience with one or more of the following programming languages: C/C++, Python, Matlab, Java, etc. and experience with physics modelling software such as Comsol, Fluent, OpenFOAM, etc.
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming and software design patterns.
- Familiarity with version control such as Git, Subversion, or Mercurial.
- Understanding of heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
- Broad general background in partial differential equations, optimization, and/or statistics.
- Demonstrated proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, document analyses, and prepare, present, and explain technical information and publications.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Joining our Talent Network will enhance your job search process.
Find out about future opportunities by registering your details with us.
Just upload your resume and complete a few simple questions about the type of position you are looking for. Once your profile is complete, our recruiting team will be able to match you to suitable roles.
We look forward to staying connected with you!