Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Post College Appointee to in developing novel approaches for synthetic vaccine development. You will work in a highly integrated environment as part of a multi-disciplinary team to develop, optimize, characterize, and validate methods for the production and characterization of proteins and nucleic acid-based vaccine development. The work combines basic microbiological and immunological techniques with state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
- Design, perform and analyze cell-free expression experiments to test, and develop protocols and procedures to produce novel membrane bound proteins.
- Design, perform and analyze immunological experiments to quantify impacts of vaccination innate and cell mediated immunity.
- Contribute to and carry out the design of experiments involving molecular biology techniques including biochemical tests using immunoassay techniques to characterize proteins of interest.
- Troubleshoot initial results and perform protein assay development using molecular biological techniques as needed.
- Application and design of PCR assays to monitor biological pathways in cells and animals.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory journal.
- Ensure all experiments are performed within ES&H safety guidelines and that waste from all experiments is characterized and disposed of properly.
- Collaborate with other research groups at LLNL and other offsite institutions. Travel may be required to present work at meetings and attend visits to collaborator labs.
- Occasional weekend work and/or additional hours during the week may be required to follow through on ongoing experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent B.S. in biological or physical science or related field.
- Experience working with gel electrophoresis.
- Experience with or working knowledge of antibody based immunological assays, including ELISA, FACS, etc.
- Knowledge of typical molecular biology laboratory instruments.
- Proficient interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment with a diverse technical staff.
- Ability to multi-task with a team on multiple time constrained projects.
- Ability to follow standard laboratory protocols and ES&H safety procedures.
- Experience using personal computers, Excel and PowerPoint applications.
- Analytical, record-keeping and organizational skills necessary for working in a laboratory environment.
- Experience with DNA extraction using Qiagen kits including minipreps, maxipreps, gel extraction, and PCR purification.
- Experience with a broad range of molecular biological techniques and ability to adapt and troubleshoot new methods for difficult samples
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Bachelor degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.