Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for graduate level students who are a part of the Predictive Science Academic Alliance Program II (PSAAP II) to perform discipline-focused research needed to help further predictive science enabled by effective extreme scale computing. Our goal is to develop and demonstrate technologies and methodologies to support effective extreme computing in the context of science/engineering applications. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational science, computer science, numerical methods, mathematics, or other related fields.
- Students will work with Scientists and Engineers doing research in assigned area.
- Under minimal supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Make an oral or poster presentation on the outcome of their research activities.
- Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their research projects or participating in the provided professional development opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or other related fields.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in scientific curriculum.
- Experience applying advanced computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
- Must be an active member of the Predictive Science Academic Alliance Program II (PSAAP II).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer and academic breaks. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.