Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate has multiple openings for a continuing undergraduate in the engineering, physics, and computer science fields. Successful candidates will gain practical research experience to further educational goals, while providing technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computational engineering, nuclear and chemical engineering, or other related fields. NSED provides engineering solutions to the challenges facing our nation in national defense, homeland security, energy and environment, and fundamental physics.
- Work directly with engineers, scientists and technical mentors to perform technical and/or research assignments in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computational engineering, nuclear and chemical engineering, or other related fields.
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Utilize standard software packages common in your discipline to complete common tasks.
- Attend relevant seminars and facility tours.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a college or university student in good academic standing enrolled in an accredited institution pursuing an associates or bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, computer science or a related field.
- A sustained record of outstanding academic performance.
- Ability to work full time for ten to twelve weeks during the summer months.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Communication skills necessary to communicate research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Familiarity with tools associated to your field of study.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break; a co-op position, full-time during the academic semester/quarter, or a year-round part-time position during the academic year and full time during academic breaks.) Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.