Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for our Livermore Computing DevOps Team (DO IT), Summer Undergraduate Internship Program. This internship will run 9 weeks, beginning in May 2021. Our openings are for undergraduate level students who will be given the opportunity to engage in practical software development life cycle, modern DevOps tools, and Agile methodologies to kickstart a bright future career. The selected interns will work with our Cloud Solution Architects in a small group setting to focus on a high visible project in our High Performance Computing (HPC) Facility.
- Students will work with solution architects, system administrators, and technical staff members to provide technical support to projects in the areas of web development, application programming interface (API), and database performing tuning.
- Under close supervision, interns will participate in research in assigned area.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of computer program in Docker containers.
- Attend daily Scrum and other DO IT related meetings and workshops
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, Computer Engineering, or other related fields.
- Effective programming skills in a high-level language such as Java, C++, Python, NodeJS.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas in a team enviorment.
- Desire to improve skills in public presentation of software/project results by giving presentations and participating in the LLNL student poster symposium or Summer Slam.
- Experience approaching difficult problems with enthusiam and creativity.
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time 9 week summer position beinging in May, 2021 to August 31, 2021. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information. Salaries are based on student academic level.
Selected applicants will be required to provide current unofficial transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.