Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for undergraduate level students to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. The areas you may research will support United States (US) policy and decision makers in developing strategies for national and international security. Global Security (GS) applies multipdisciplinary science and technology to anticipate, innovate, and deliver responsive solutions to complex global security needs. Particular focus is on the following areas: energy and homeland security, intelligence, cybersecurity, nuclear threat reduction, biosecurity, and forensic science.
- Students will work with scientists and engineers to provide research in the areas of remote sensing, sensor networks, radiation detection, seismic monitoring, bio detection, cyber security or interactive data mining.
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze the data or information in support of scientific research.
- Communicate research project(s) and document work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in Mathematics, Bio-Engineering Psychology, Chemical Engineer, Materials Science Engineer, Biochemistry Engineer, Computer Science, Physical Science, Political, or Language Sciences.
- Ability to apply basic and scientific approaches to problem-solving (plan, analyze and execute) based on the level of education.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break; a co-op position, full-time during the academic semester/quarter, or a year-round part-time position during the academic year and full time during academic breaks.) Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.